The first part of this story, is my failed flight in my own plane, a story of turbulence, clouds, losing my cellphone, returning home. The second part of this story is the commercial flights and the fun work in the mud, on the island.
Taking off from Camrose, I knew the weather was good on the prairies and on the coast, but dubious over the rockies.
We encountered the most severe turbulence. Updrafts and Downdrafts, then some sudden “drops”. Everything inside the airplane went flying. Not just flying, objects violently hitting the ceilings then back down to the floor. It damaged a few things we were carrying. My seatbelts worked themselves a little loose, and I hit my head on the ceiling, painfully.
The big problem though, was my cellphone was sitting on the copilots seat beside me. After the turbulence, I couldn’t find my cellphone anywhere.
We flew a little further almost reaching the BC-Alberta border at the far end of the Abraham lake valley, but the clouds got lower and lower, and blocked my path, so I had to turn around, and fly home.
At home, hunting for the cellphone, we could hear it vibrating. I had to take off the seat and floorboards to find it. It had flown forward under the pedals, up, forward some more and found a gap through that led downward to below the floorboards.
It took over an hour of work to find it and put my plane back together.
The next day, we took a Westjet flight to Vancouver, and a Seair Seaplanes flight to Thetis island. It was my first time flying in a Beaver, on floats.
The Beaver flight really pleased me, because I realized my own plane, flies faster, has more room in the cockpit and passenger seats, has bigger doors, bigger windows, and slightly bigger cargo space. The Beaver has a 3rd row of seats, which the Expedition doesn’t have, and I don’t need. I love my airplane even more now.
February 19, 2014 update. I’ve been pushing mud around with the tractor, to smear it over the wood chips, and to smooth the curves into the ditch. The tractor is always on the verge of getting stuck. I can only work on a spot for 15 minutes before the ground becomes mud deep enough to get the tractor stuck. This is super fun.
February 20, 2014 update. Today, I tractored in mud. Almost got stuck 10 times. Actually got stuck 1 time, and dug out with a shovel. The front wheels were completely submerged in thick sticky mud. Next was chainsawing, getting rid of ugly dead trees along the edge. Very tiring work. I found Titanium Joes which will be able to sell me the titanium bar that I’ll use for a kayak launch, and I learned that a coal forge can make it bendable Forging titanium. Don put plexiglass windows in, and made the doors for the pumphouse expansion, and took turns with tree cutting.
Last fall, I sprinkled 3 bags of grass seeds. A month ago, more grass seeds were spread. Nothing has sprouted. I realize now, that I should have covered the seeds with soil by raking them in. Kim suggested seeding in April. I’ll try premierpacificseeds.com in Surrey, BC. Their Costal Revegetation Mix is “Excellent balanced premier seed mixture for all coastal areas where bank and slope stabilization is needed.” needs 50-100 lbs per acre. WOW. that’s a lot. Looks like I’m going to need 300 lbs of it to start.
Queen room window
45 3/4 inches by 57 3/8 (to 57 1/2) inches
I changed the orientation of the re-transmitting antenna under the house, in case it was having a feedback loop with the outdoor antenna. I have to check out its frequencies, and its 40 dB power, which doesn’t seem much.
So I’m confused. But I’m pretty sure that 850/1900 boosting isn’t going to benefit me. I think I need a 1700/2100 booster.
I’m therefore considering getting a Wilson Tri-band 4G-C, which I can order from eBay for about $1000.